- A systematic reading intervention perfect for RTI implementation.
- Instruction in all five components of reading in every lesson.
- Ready-made, carefully designed lessons for small groups.
- Scripted lessons easily taught by a teacher or teacher assistant.
- Graphs for recording individual progress.
- Nonfiction text as required by Common Core State Standards.
- Develop phonemic awareness of letter sounds and syllables.
- Master the sounds of letters and letter combinations.
- Decode phonetically regular one- and two-syllable words easily.
- Learn to read high-frequency words with automaticity.
- Analyze and read words with inflected endings.
- Build fluency by reading leveled, nonfiction text.
- Spell short, regular phonetic words.
- Increase reading accuracy and expression.
Read Naturally GATE accelerates reading achievement by combining the research-proven strategies of teacher modeling, repeated reading, and progress monitoring. Teachers present scripted lessons, and students respond as they interact with letters, key words, and stories in the teacher's guide/display book. As the group works through the steps, the students master letter sounds, decodable words, high-frequency words, and a nonfiction story. Students track progress on their graphs.
Read Naturally GATE Steps
- Listen for Sounds in Words
The teacher provides the sound of a featured letter or letter combination, and the students decide if various words contain that sound. This listening activity promotes phonemic awareness, in particular the ability to recognize the featured sounds in each word.
- Blend Sounds Into Words
The teacher blends letter sounds together slowly, and the students determine what word the teacher has made. This listening activity improves phonemic awareness, in particular the ability to recognize words made by sounds or word parts blended together.
- Practice Letter Sounds (Practice Letter Sounds With Teacher Support and Practice Letter Sounds Without Teacher Support)
Students practice the letter sounds with and then without teacher support. These activities promote the mastery of the sounds of the featured letters.
- Decode Sound-Out Words With Teacher Support
The teacher and the students slowly blend the letter sounds into words. This teaches the decoding of phonetically regular words (sound-out words) containing the featured sounds. Many of these words are also high-frequency words.
- Read the Spell-Out Word(s) With Teacher Support
The teacher guides the students through the process of reading the word, spelling the word, and reading the word again until the students can do these steps independently. This teaches a strategy for learning phonetically irregular high-frequency words (spell-out words).
- Read the Lesson Words Without Teacher Support
The students read each lesson word as the teacher points to the word. This promotes mastery of decoding sound-out words containing featured sounds and mastery of reading the spell-out words taught in the lesson.
- Make a Prediction
The group writes a prediction sentence together. This pre-reading activity prepares the students’ minds for reading the story.
- Cold Timing (Cold Timing for One Minute and Mark the Cold-Timing Score on the Graph)
The teacher times the class for one minute as each student reads the story independently and determines his or her words correct per minute. Each student graphs his or her cold-timing score in blue. This step establishes a baseline for progress monitoring, the component of the Read Naturally Strategy that motivates the student to improve.
- Read Along With the Teacher
The students read along quietly with the teacher, stopping to decode three to five unfamiliar words containing the featured sound. This step is the teacher-modeling component of the Read Naturally Strategy, which helps the students learn new words and master others as well as learn proper pronunciation, expression, and phrasing.
- Practice and Pass the Story (Practice and Pass the Story and Mark the Final Score on the Graph)
The teacher times the students for one minute multiple times while each student reads the story independently. During the pass-timing portion, the teacher typically listens to each student read individually. This step is the repeated-reading component of the Read Naturally Strategy, which helps students improve fluency, master difficult words, and understand the story. Each student graphs his or her pass-timing score in red above the cold-timing score (in blue) to show how much the student's fluency has improved.
- Answer the Questions
Students answer questions about the story. Responding to the text holds the student accountable for meaning, develops the ability to answer many types of questions, and provides teachers with information about how well the student comprehends the story.
- Write a Sentence About the Story (optional)
Students write about something they remember from the story, which improves comprehension.
- Read Words Down and Across (Read Words Down, Read Words Across, and Read Words Down and Across)
With teacher guidance, students practice reading down the columns of words and then reading across the rows of words. This step highlights the patterns in words, teaches common word families and high-frequency words, and teaches the decoding of words with the featured phonics patterns.
Students write spell-out words and sound-out words from the story. This step develops phonemic awareness, gives students practice writing short words with the featured phonics patterns as well as irregular high-frequency words, and improves spelling skills.
Read Naturally GATE levels are:
- Level 0.8 (short vowels and high frequency words).
- Level 1.3 (long vowels and high frequency words).
- Level 1.8 (consonant blends, digraphs, suffixes, and high frequency words).
Read Naturally GATE is sold by level. The teacher selects the appropriate level for the students.
Each level includes a book of reproducible masters and a double-purposed teacher’s guide/display book.
BOOK OF REPRODUCIBLE MASTERS
24 student booklets each with a high-interest, leveled, nonfiction story include:
- Line-by-line word counts.
- Key words with the featured sound(s).
- Comprehension activities: predicting, answering questions, and retelling.
- List of words with the featured sound(s).
- Spelling activities.
Additional reproducible resources include:
- Student record sheets.
- Crossword puzzles booklets.
- Periodic assessments of high-frequency words.
- Parent letter.
- Answer keys.
- Achievement award.
TEACHER'S GUIDE/DISPLAY BOOK
Teacher information include:
- Color-coded script for each of the 24 lessons.
- Easy-to-follow directions.
- Program information.
Visual displays for students include:
- Sound-out words.
- Spell-out words.
- Word Lists.
This new and improved version of GATE teaches high-frequency words and includes educational wait-time activities for easier class management.
NOTE: Level 0.8 of Read Naturally GATE is currently backordered.
|Description ||Item Number ||Item Price, $ || Quantity |
|Read Naturally GATE Level 0.8 (Short Vowels/High Frequency Words) ||GATE08 || $149.00 || |
|Read Naturally GATE Level 1.3 (Long Vowels/High Frequency Words) ||GATE13 || $149.00 || |
|Read Naturally GATE Level 1.8 (Blends & Digraphs/Suffixes/High-Frequency Words) ||GATE18 || $149.00 || |
These replacement packs are for GATE for Phonics, the legacy version of GATE. Each replacement pack contains six consumable Student Story Books (not reproducible) for use with the legacy Teacher's Guide. New customers should purchase the updated version of GATE, Read Naturally GATE.
|Description ||Item Number ||Item Price, $ || Quantity |
|GATE for Phonics Level 0.8 Student Story Book Replacement Pack ||GT9008 || $30.00 || |
|GATE for Phonics Level 1.3 Student Story Book Replacement Pack ||GT9013 || $30.00 || |
What Customers Say About Read Naturally GATE
"I selected five [struggling] students to participate in tutoring sessions using GATE. Using the GATE program eliminated my concern about the time for planning and preparation required for tutoring. The materials were ready, the lessons were sequential, and my students LOVED it! These students showed amazing growth in reading!"
— Bev Wirt, Glendale, AZ
"Group and Tutoring Edition (GATE) has had a positive impact on several of our students, and we have only been using it for a few months. It's a great addition to our Tier 2 supports!"
— Kristin, Title I Administrator, Brooklyn Park, MN
Patricia, Instructional Coach May 2, 2014
I have used Read Naturally Gate, ME, and Word Warm ups with small groups during T2-3 intervention and guided groups for the past nine years. I am a huge fan of these research-based resources and have witnessed increased fluency and phonics automaticity in students. I highly recommend these products!
Carol Apr 16, 2014
I love that the newest version of GATE incorporates instruction in High Frequency words into the lessons! High Frequency word recognition is a goal for all of our primary students, and having the instruction and review built into this wonderful program is so awesome! Thanks for making a great product even better!