I see the red "Ready to Pass" message on the computer screen. What do I do to administer pass timing?
When the "Ready to Pass" message displays, you can administer pass timing by completing the following steps:
- If the student is in the middle of a practice timing, click the Stop icon to stop timing.
- To enable the students to begin pass timing, the teacher clicks Pass in the lower right corner, enters his or her password, and clicks OK.
- The students click Start when they are ready to start reading.
- As the students read, the teacher listens and counts the number of errors they make. (See the guidelines for counting errors for more information.)
- If the students finish the story, they should click the Finished button. If students are set up for whole-story timing, they must click Finished to stop the timing.
If the students are set up for one- or two-minute timings, a bell sounds when the time is up. Students should click the last word they read when the bell sounded.
- The teacher enters the number of errors the student made, rates the student's expression, and then clicks Next. (See the guidelines for rating expression for more information.)
- The teacher reviews the student's answers to the open-ended questions,
indicates whether the answers are correct (Yes or No), and then clicks
- Use the answers in the back of the SE Teacher's Guide to evaluate the student's answers.
- Students must change their answers for the open-ended questions if teachers determine they are incorrect.
- SE shows a summary of the pass results. In order to pass the students
must meet these criteria:
- They must meet their goal (words correct per minute).
- They cannot have more than three reading errors.
- They must read with good expression (a rating of 2 or higher).
- They must answer all of the questions correctly.
- After reviewing the pass summary, the teacher can click Change Scores if he or she needs to change the number of errors, expression rating, or evaluation of the short-answer questions.
- The teacher clicks Next when ready to continue.
- If the student did not pass, SE shows the pass requirements results. Red stars mark the requirements that the student met. SE lets the teacher decide how to proceed.
- When the student passes, SE displays a Congratulations screen with a pass graph.