— Dr. Sally Shaywitz in Overcoming Dyslexia
Share Your Story
Read Naturally Masters Edition (ME)
Read Naturally Masters Edition (ME) develops fluency, supports vocabulary development, and promotes comprehension using the powerful, research-based Read Naturally strategy. ME materials target specific audiences and feature blackline masters and audio CDs.
HOW IT WORKS
Students read along to a recording of the story (teacher modeling) and then practice reading the story on their own, timing themselves until they can read it at a predetermined goal rate (repeated reading). They graph their initial and final scores. The graphs show the students’ progress over successive stories, which provides positive reinforcement, boosting their confidence and motivating them to continue reading. Students work in Read Naturally ME three to five times a week for at least 30 minutes a day.
Reproducible masters of the stories to photocopy for students as needed.
- Stories with line-by-line word counts make it easy to determine how many words the students read.
- Definitions of key words enhance students' vocabulary.
- Prediction step in which students write a brief prediction of what they think the story is about prepares students to read by having them think about the topic in advance.
- Quiz questions test the students' comprehension of the story; questions in the sequenced levels follow a specific format to help identify problem areas in comprehension (e.g., main idea, vocabulary, inference).
- Retell step in which students retell what they remember about the story helps assess comprehension.
- Masters are also included for letters to parents; a steps poster; fluency, comprehension, retell, and word list graphs; and a Super Reader award.
High-quality, professional voice recordings of key words, definitions, and the story. For the Read Along step, there are three recordings of each story, each one slightly faster than the previous one.
- Professional recordings of a fluency reader model correct pronunciation, expression, and phrasing.
- Allows teachers to work with other students while readers work with their recordings.
- Allows students to read along at a consistent pace at an optimum speed for struggling readers.
- Enables students to work independently at their own pace.
- Gives students ownership of their own learning, keeping them engaged and motivated.
Comprehensive guide for teachers’ instructions and program elements.
- Rationale for and benefits of the Read Naturally strategy
- Teacher responsibilities and lesson plans
- Guidelines for planning and setting up
- Instructions for implementing the Read Naturally steps
- Guidelines for monitoring student performance
ME Spanish Series
|Levels Available: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5|
|Order ME Spanish Series|
ME American Manners & Customs Series
|This series is designed to inform students about American manners and customs while developing fluency, promoting vocabulary, and improving comprehension. Each level in the series includes 12 reproducible stories with corresponding questions and glossaries, and 12 CDs with audio support for all text, including the stories, questions, and glossary words.|
|Levels Available: 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5|
|Order ME American Manners & Customs Series|
ME Idioms Series
|This series helps students improve their reading fluency while also learning common idioms such as "spill the beans" and "pinch pennies." Each level in the series includes 12 reproducible stories with corresponding questions and glossaries, and 12 CDs with audio support for all text, including the stories, questions, and glossary words.|
|Levels Available: 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5|
|Order ME Idioms Series|
Resources for Blind & Visually Impaired Students
|These CDs provide resource files for creating braille or large-print versions of the ME stories so that blind and visually imparied students can take advantage of the Read Naturally ME program. Resource CDs are available for all ME Sequenced series and ME Phonics series levels. You can order each resource CD separately or with the corresponding ME level.|
|More about the Resources for Blind & Visually Impaired Students|
|Order Resources for Blind & Visually Impaired Students|
ME DECISION ASSISTANT
ME Decision Assistant is a software program that offers powerful record-keeping, placement, and reporting features for schools using Read Naturally ME programs. You place students and record student data on a stand-alone Windows or Macintosh computer. Once the data is stored, you can generate reports to help you monitor students' progress and make decisions about adjusting their levels and goals.
More about ME Decision Assistant