Word Warm Ups provides...
- Differentiation for students who need additional phonics instruction.
- Motivation through graphing progress.
- Practice and judicious review to solidify learning.
- Instruction in the most common phonics and syllable patterns.
- An assessment to place students in the appropriate level and lesson.
- Improve word recognition.
- Learn to use word patterns to decode rapidly.
- Read words with the featured patterns in connected text.
- Decode increasingly difficult phonetically regular words.
- Reinforce featured phonics skills by spelling phonetically regular words.
Word Warm-ups develops accuracy and automaticity in decoding through a modified version of the powerful Read Naturally Strategy of teacher modeling, repeated reading, and progress monitoring. Students work on short audio-supported phonics exercises for as little as 10 minutes a day as a warm-up or up to 30 minutes a day as an intervention.
Word Warm-ups Steps
- Look, Listen, and Respond
The student looks at the exercise sheet while listening to the audio lesson on the CD and responding to the lesson instructions. This step helps the student learn the featured sounds, phonics patterns, or syllable patterns.
- Cold Timing
The student reads the words in a new exercise for a one-minute cold timing, underlining any words he or she doesn’t know. The student subtracts the number of unknown words from the total number of words attempted to obtain a cold-timing score. This step establishes a baseline for progress monitoring, the component of the Read Naturally Strategy that motivates the student to improve.
- Graph Cold Score
The student graphs the cold score in blue. Marking the graph provides a visual of the baseline data.
- Read Along
The student reads along quietly with a recording of the exercise, which models correct pronunciation. Depending on the level, the student reads sample words sound-by-sound or syllable-by-syllable with the audio and then blends the parts into whole words. This step is the teacher-modeling component of the Read Naturally Strategy, which helps the student learn new words and master others.
The student practices reading the word lists independently until he or she can read all of the words correctly, down the columns and then across the rows, in one minute. As the student practices many words with the featured pattern, he or she learns to decode the pattern more easily and to read the words with automaticity. This step is the repeated-reading component of the Read Naturally Strategy, which helps the student apply the featured sounds, phonics patterns, or syllable patterns to master the words.
- Hot Timing
The teacher listens to the student read the word lists for one minute. To pass, the student must read all of the words down the columns, then across the rows, with three or fewer errors. After the student passes, the teacher has the option of dictating five to ten words from the list for the student to write. The teacher provides additional instruction if needed.
- Graph Hot Score
The student graphs the hot-timing score in red above the cold-timing score (in blue), to show how much he or she has improved.
Read Naturally Word Warm-ups has three levels. Each level focuses on specific phonics skills.
- Word Warm-ups 1 teaches phonetically regular one-syllable words in 77 audio-supported exercises.
- Word Warm-ups 2 teaches phonetically regular two- and three-syllable words in 57 audio-supported exercises.
- Word Warm-ups 3 teaches phonetically regular multisyllabic words, including prefixes and suffixes, in 65 audio-supported exercises.
Read Naturally Word Warm-ups is sold by level. The teacher selects the appropriate level for each student.
Each level includes a book of reproducible masters, audio CDs for up to six students, and teacher materials.
BOOK OF REPRODUCIBLE MASTERS
Multiple packets of student exercises include:
- An introductory activity.
- Several practice exercises.
- A review exercise.
- A nonfiction passage.
- A challenge exercise focused on a phonic pattern.
Additional resource materials exercises include:
- Letter to parents.
- Student assessment.
- Assessment scoring worksheets.
- Class data sheets.
- Pronunciation guide.
- Mini-folder with graph.
- Step poster.
- Completion certificate.
Each CD includes:
- Phonics lesson for each exercise.
- Recordings of each word list or story.
- Student directions.
Teacher’s Manual includes:
- Research and rationale.
- Teacher responsibilities.
- Additional resources.
Additional Resources include:
- Storage Box with six starter packets of each exercise.
- Compact CD case.
- Full-color 11-by-17-inch steps poster.
Assessments (for Program Screening and Placement)
|Description ||Item Number ||Item Price, $ || Quantity |
|Word Warm-ups 1: One Syllable Words ||WWUP01 || $169.00 || |
|Word Warm-ups 2: Two-Syllable Words ||WWUP02 || $169.00 || |
|Word Warm-ups 3: Multisyllabic Words ||WWUP03 || $169.00 || |
What Customers Say About Word Warm-ups...
"I started using Word Warm-ups with small groups of second graders this year. These students are improving their accuracy on the RCBMs. I think it encourages them to look through words more carefully as they are reading."
— Mary, Reading/Literacy Teacher, Aurora, IL
“I purchased your Word Warm-ups to use with my lower third-grade readers. I am pleased with their success and shared that with my principal. She was very impressed with your materials.”
— Mary F., Chandler, AZ