Train the Trainer
Read Naturally’s highly effective programs offer a proven strategy to help struggling readers develop their reading skills. Our Train the Trainer workshop, taught by nationally recognized educators, provides intensive training and all of the materials you need to train teachers in your district to effectively implement Read Naturally programs.
Train the Trainer is aimed specifically at educators who are designated by their schools or school districts to teach the Read Naturally strategy to others. It is not advanced Read Naturally training for teaching students in the classroom.
Before attending Train the Trainer, you must have attended one of our full-day Read Naturally seminars. Attendance at the Read Naturally seminar the day before Train the Trainer beginis is mandatory for people who have not yet attended one. Even if you have previously attended a seminar, you may want to consider attending this seminar as a refresher.
- Gain a thorough understanding of Read Naturally’s fluency solutions, focusing on Read Naturally Masters Edition (ME) and Software Edition (SE).
- Learn about other Read Naturally solutions for reading development and assessment, including the Group and Tutoring Edition (GATE) for Phonics, Take Aim! at Vocabulary, the Word Warm-ups phonics program, and the One Minute Reader program for home use.
- Learn about Read Naturally's reading assessment tools.
- Learn directly from Candyce Ihnot, founder of Read Naturally, Dr. Jan Hasbrouck, and other top Read Naturally experts.
- Learn about the latest fluency research.
- Obtain hands-on presentation practice with Read Naturally experts.
- Receive extensive materials for teaching the Read Naturally strategy, including PowerPoint slides, presenter's guides, teacher's guides, and more.
The Train the Trainer workshop will be led by a team of Read Naturally experts and nationally recognized educators. Using a combination of large-group sessions, small-group sessions, and individual practice sessions, this in-depth training will prepare you to successfully teach the Read Naturally concepts and techniques to educators at in-service workshops and school conferences in your school district.
You will learn how to teach teachers...
- The importance of attaining fluency and how fluency directly correlates with comprehension.
- To combine the research-based strategies of teacher modeling, repeated reading, and self-monitoring of progress to significantly improve fluency in developing readers.
- To use detailed procedures to implement the Read Naturally strategy.
- To assess and place students in the appropriate Read Naturally levels.
- To assess students' reading rates, accuracy, and expression.
- To adjust students' reading levels and goal rates to accelerate their reading achievement and motivation.
- To implement a computer-based fluency-development program with Read Naturally Software Edition.
- To set up a Read Naturally learning center for maximum efficiency.
- To identify the purpose and benefits of reading assessments and the correct use of Read Naturally's assessment tools, including the Reading Fluency Benchmark Assessor (RFBA), the Reading Fluency Progress Monitor (RFPM), and Quick Phonics Screener (QPS).
You will receive all the training materials you need to understand and teach the Read Naturally strategy (valued at over $400.00). Materials include:
- PowerPoint slides and detailed presenter's guides for six-hour and one-hour Read Naturally training.*
- Electronic masters of handouts used in the six-hour Read Naturally seminar, six-hour Read Naturally SE seminar, and one-hour conference presentation, including workbooks*, placement packet, teacher’s manuals, and white papers.
- A Rationale and Research packet, which explains the rationale behind the Read Naturally strategy and research results that show its effectiveness.
- A placement packet, which includes complete instructions for placing students, a placement worksheet, and stories for conducting placement tests.
- An Read Naturally ME Teacher's Manual, which describes the materials needed for an effective Read Naturally program, explains each step in the Read Naturally strategy, and includes sample lesson plans.
- A Read Naturally SE Self-Study Course, including an illustrated workbook and training CD with training software and videos.
- One Read Naturally level (your choice).
- A Read Naturally steps poster.
- An electronic timer for timing students.
*Not available to the general public
|Candyce Ihnot||Dr. Jan Hasbrouck|
|Barb Denbow||Sarah Jane Schonour|
|Karen Hunter||Ben Weisner|
|Carol Ann Kane|
Check back for details about the next Train the Trainer workshop.