Research and Analysis
FLUENCY AND READ NATURALLY STRATEGY PROGRAMS
- Read Naturally Rationale & Research: Describes the rationale behind the Read Naturally strategy, the steps in the program, and studies offering evidence of Read Naturally's effectiveness.
- Developing Fluent Readers White Paper: Discusses how to help students develop reading fluency, what fluency instruction should look like, and how to help struggling readers.
- More Practice and Support Are Keys to Improving Reading Fluency: This article by Dr. Jan Hasbrouck is an excerpt from the article, "Drop Everything and Read—But How?," published in The American Educator.
- Study Reaffirms Correlation Between Fluency and Reading Achievement: A Florida study compared fluency test scores with reading comprehension scores from the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test.
- Reading Fluency and Vocabulary: This article by Dr. Jan Hasbrouck covers the fundamental components of fluent reading and how fluency can affect vocabulary.
- Read Naturally Effective in Helping Students with Dyslexia: Using the Read Naturally strategy can help students with dyslexia.
- Read Naturally and Reading Attitudes: Many teachers have told us that the Read Naturally program helps improve students' attitudes toward reading.
- Read Naturally Stories Correlate to Most Frequent Word List: Read Naturally passages include a high percentage of the most frequently used words in the English language.
RESPONSE TO INTERVENTION (RTI)
- RTI White Paper: Explains how Read Naturally reading programs and assessment tools fit into a Response to Intervention (RTI) model.
- Flyer: Read Naturally and Response to Intervention (RTI): Provides an overview of how Read Naturally assessments and programs align with the RTI model.
- University Study of Read Naturally Gets Top Rating From National Center on RTI: The National Center on RTI has given a University of Minnesota study of Read Naturally its highest ratings for study quality. Read Naturally students in the study had 39% greater gains in fluency than a control group.
- Is Response to Intervention Really Different?: This article is an excerpt from a book by Dr. Jan Hasbrouck entitled RTI for Instructional Leaders: Educators as Physicians.
- Read Naturally and RTI: Provides an overview of RTI and explains how Read Naturally's assessments and reading interventions align with RTI principles.
COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
- FAQ: Do the Read Live and Read Naturally Encore stories align to the Common Core State Standards?
- Read Naturally Strategy Programs & Common Core State Standards: Explains how the Read Naturally strategy programs (Read Naturally Live, Encore, Software Edition, Masters Edition, and One Minute Reader) support the Common Core State Standards.
- Read Naturally Intervention Programs & Common Core State Standards: Explains how Read Naturally's additional intervention programs (Read Naturally GATE, Word Warm-ups, Signs for Sounds, and Take Aim at Vocabulary) support the Common Core State Standards.
- Differentiated Instruction White Paper: Provides an intro to differentiated instruction, where whole-class activities are interspersed with small-group instruction, work with peers, and independent work.
- Flyer: How Read Naturally Can Help Differentiate Instruction: Provides an overview of Read Naturally's assessments, programs, and professional development, highlighting the features that make them ideal for differentiating instruction.
- Read Naturally and Differentiated Instruction: Explains how Read Naturally's assessments, instructional programs, and professional developement align with the principles of differentiated instruction.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS (ELL)
- White Paper: Comprehension Support for English Language Learners Using the Read Naturally Strategy
- Read Naturally and English Language Learners: Explains how features of Read Naturally strategy programs help ELLs by providing Spanish-language support, supporting vocabulary development, and increasing background knowledge.
- Rationale Paper Supports the Use of Spanish Read Alongs for ELL Students: A paper by a University of Texas researcher supports the approach of using Spanish read alongs for native Spanish speakers who use Read Naturally.
- How Read Naturally Matches Recommendations for ELL: How does the Read Naturally strategy fit with Krashen's recommendations for ELL students?
TAKE AIM! AT VOCABULARY
- Take Aim! at Vocabulary Research & Rationale: This document explains the research-based principles and strategies on which Take Aim is based and describes studies offering evidence of its effectiveness.
- Take Aim! at Vocabulary Aligns with IES Recommendations for Improving Adolescent Literacy: Take Aim! at Vocabulary provides vocabulary instruction that meets recommendations developed by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES).
SIGNS FOR SOUNDS
- Signs for Sounds Aligns Well With Spelling Program Checklist: Read Naturally's Director of Curriculum evaluated Signs for Sounds against a checklist for spelling programs from the Center on Instruction.